Editor: Jason “The Bok” Date: 15 Jan 2015
In December 2015 a well wrapped package arrived at my door. Always eager to receive parcels, I immediately brought the package inside and began to unwrap it. The rush of excitement further flowed, when I realised that the package contained Huawei’s latest flagship device, The Mate S.
My first ever experience of owning my own Android device was made possible, thanks to a Huawei device (the Vodafone 858 – Huawei U8160). I already knew from this point-in-time, that Huawei were on a serious mission to take on the world of mobile phones. Since then, Android has grown in strength day-by-day and remains the global dominance king in terms of mobile user base worldwide. Huawei have also remained on a mission of capturing the best elements of mobile phones and constantly bettering their products and the brand which they carry.
Getting my hands on the new device, it came as no surprise, that the Mate S was going to be something rather special. Having used the Huawei Mate 7 previously (link to review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KZZc3hqBUY ) I knew that Huawei were no stranger to making premium phablet style devices and the Mate S, certainly does not disappoint.
The device measure the dimensions 149.8 x 75.3 x 7.2 mm (5.90 x 2.96 x 0.28 in) and comes in at just 156 g. Not online does it feel amazing in the hand, it is also exceptionally slim, built of gorgeous materials and also comes available in a great selection of colours including: Luxurious Gold, Mystic Champagne, Titanium Grey.
– Dual Nano Sim Trays ( Thus Data and Calling can be filtered according to user preference and provider of choice)
– Toughened Corning Gorilla Glass 4 Display measuring in at 5,5″
– Android OS 5.1.1 out of the box, upgradable to 6.0 (Marshmallow) and running the very fluid Huawei Emotion UI 3.1
– HiSilicon Kirin 935, with Quad-core 2.2 GHz & quad-core 1.5 GHz CPU and Mali-T628 MP4 GPU
– Internal Memory of – 32/64/128 GB, and 3 GB RAM (64 GB on-board my review device)
– Camera with -13 MP, f/2.0, 28mm, OIS, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash and Secondary 8mp Camera
– Wifi 802.11 b/g/n standards ; Bluetooth 4.0 A2DP ; GPS with A-GPS and GLONASS (for quick GPS lock)
– Finger Print Scanner (Used for device security and convenience un-lock)
With it’s overall impressive features, gorgeous style and high-end quality, it comes as no surprise that the Mate S is a winner! The device features a 2700 mAh battery which is competent and provides a full day of usage. I would have liked to have seen an even larger battery with more power, however the super slim profile of this device, probably would not allow for this. Its overall large size and thoughtful “out of the box ready” approach makes it an easy device to fall in love with!
The device even features a stunning quality flip case, supplied within the box. Attention to detail is also not left behind, the case comes in the same colour as your device, as do the headphones.
This is a large device, and as a result, it allows for great usage of apps which take advantage of their share of full screen real estate. The only down side to a device this size, is it’s limited usage one-handed ability. Overall I would definitely recommend taking a further look at the Mate S, when it comes to upgrading your smartphone.
Check out further impressions of my time spent using the Hauwei Mate S, by watching the below video: