Editor: Jason “The Bok” Date – 19 Mar 2019
Barely a month ago Huawei shocked the world when it showcased its revolutionary new Mate X foldable smartphone at MWC Barcelona 2019. With a main screen size of 6.6-inches and expandable screen size of 8-inches, the Mate X brings with its the power of a top spec smartphone and tablet PC in a single device. I was privileged enough to be one of the first people on the African continent to get some hands-on time with the new smartphone which is more revolution than it is evolution!
What is it?
In short, the Mate X is both a top-notch smartphone and a tablet PC. While a few phone makers have shown off their renditions of a foldable smart device, it is fair to say that none to my knowledge have done it quite so tastefully as Huawei.
With a pin sharp 2200 x 2480 8-inch expanded display, dual-sim capabilities with 5G connectivity (Balong 5000) chipset and ultra-powerful Hilsilicon Kirin 980 as seen on the Huawei Mate 20 Pro, the upcoming Mate X combines the power Leica optics with the very best possibilities of a top-tier smartphone and tablet PC.
- Worlds Fastest 5G Foldable Device
- Hisilicon Kirin 980 & Balong 5000 5G Chipset
- Display Sizes (6.38-inch Back ; 6.6-inch Front & 8-inch Full Expand)
- 2 in 1 Fingerprint Scanner & Power Button
- Wireless Charing (55 W Supercharging abilities – 85% charge in +- 30 Mins)
- 4500 mAh battery
- Falcon Wing Revolutionary Hinge Design
- 5.4 mm Thin Folded Flat; Just 11 mm Folded-Over
- Best-In-Class Leica Triple Camera Optics
Though Huawei South Africa is yet to officially announce a release date or price of the incredible upcoming Mate X, we can aim to see the device for sale on our shores around July of this year. If its (USD) $2600 price is any indication, it will certainly remain a premium priced device, but does pack the abilities of both a top-notch mobile phone and tablet PC.