LIGHTS, CAMERA, COMMUNICATION FOR THE WORLD’S MOST LOVED CAR
- Spec upgrade for the 2015 Corolla
- Daytime Running Lights now standard across the range
- Sprinter model gets Display Audio with Reverse Camera
- Bluetooth functionality for entry-level Esteem variants
The current generation Corolla, introduced to the SA market in 2014, leads all automotive nameplates worldwide, and the latest iteration of this evergreen Toyota staple amply demonstrates why.
For 2015 the Corolla kit list has grown across the board, with all models now getting Daytime Running Lights (DRLs) as standard.
The mid-spec 1.6 Sprinter which features a sporty style twist courtesy of the anthracite alloys, boot lid spoiler and Sprinter-unique colour palette and trim, has also been upgraded to include Toyota’s award-winning multi-media touch screen display with reverse monitor and guidelines.
Another new standard equipment item for all Corollas is Bluetooth functionality (and steering wheel switches). This feature has now been extended to include the entry-level Esteem models as well.
Just as a refresher, take note of the generous on-board gadgetry across the Corolla range:
- Remote central locking for all models with keyless Smart Entry on Exclusive models
- Power mirrors and windows (front and rear)
- Follow-Me-Home Light Control System and now DRLs too
- Ambient temperature indicator
- On-board computer (TFT Multi-information display screen on Exclusive)
- 60/40 Split rear seats
- Airconditioning (Esteem and Prestige)
- Automatic Climate Control (Sprinter and Exclusive)
- Leather upholstery on all models apart from the Esteem variants
- Touch-screen display audio incorporates AM/FM radio, a CD/DVD/MP3 player, Bluetooth mobile phone connectivity with a music streaming facility, and a USB port for the connection of portable music players, with the facility to display iPod album cover art. A Back Guide Monitor is fitted as standard (Prestige, Exclusive and now Sprinter too) – ANOTHER SEGMENT-BEATING FEATURE!
- Esteem models are equipped with a standard audio system, aux inport and USB port
- Bluetooth hands-free system with steering controls on all models
- Electrochromatic mirror (Exclusive)
- Rain sensing wipers (Exclusive)
- Cruise Control (Exclusive)
The engine line-up comprises the exceptional 1.4 litre D-4D turbo diesel (a 2015 SA Car of the Year finalist) and three petrol engines; a 1.33 litre Dual VVT-i unit, a 1.6 litre Dual VVT-i engine and another new powerplant, the 1.8 litre Dual VVT-i unit. All engines are fitted with six-speed manual transmissions, but the 1.6 and 1.8 petrol variants may optionally be mated to Toyota’s new, high-gear, high-efficiency Multidrive S CVT automatic transmission.
The good news is that the resultant price hike for the new-spec Corollas is much less than the value of the extra kit offered – the increases range from 0,5% up to a maximum of 1,3% (model dependent).
1.3 Esteem – R230 500
1.3 Prestige – R248 400
1.4D Esteem – R259 900
1.4D Prestige – R271 600
1.6 Esteem – R242 200
1.6 Prestige – R257 900
1.6 Sprinter – R267 500
1.6 Prestige CVT – R269 600
1.8 Prestige – R268 600
1.8 Exclusive – R290 800
1.8 Exclusive CVT – R302 500
The new Corolla benefits from a three-year/100,000km warranty and comes with a standard five-year/ 90 000 km service plan. Service intervals are set at 15 000 km (including the 1.4 D). The new models are also supported by the ToyotaCare Roadside Assistance Programme which entitles customers to 24-hour roadside assistance, ensuring ultimate peace-of-mind motoring.