Editor: Jason “The Bok” – Date: 20 Feb 2017
Bridge cameras have become a bit of a buzz word in photographic circles in recent years. Their compact dimensions, coupled with an array of powerful features has made them a very versatile tool in the hobbyist photographers backpack.
Meet the Nikon Coolpix P900. A bridge camera which packs a lens capable of 83x optical zoom, hence the reason its known as “the moon camera.”
I spoke to Orms Direct photographic services who were able to provide me with the P900 to find out what’s it is like to shoot with. The first thing you’ll notice when you spend some time with Coolpix P900 is its compact dimensions, particularly notable when you consider its abilities. Some of the Coolpix P900’s specifications include:
- 16MP CMOS sensor and a built-in lens with a 35mm equivalent focal length of 24-2000mm (f/2.8-6.5)
- Vari-angle 3″ TFT LCD screen and an electronic viewfinder
- 166x Dynamic Fine Zoom, 332x Digital Zoom
- Built-in Wi-Fi. The Wi-Fi and NFC allow you to quickly share photos
- Full HD 1920 x 1080p video at up to 60 fps with a built-in microphone providing stereo audio recordings
- Combination of auto and manual controls such as Programmed Auto, Night Mode, Portrait, and Landscape
- Up to 360 shots on a single battery charge (3.8V 1850 mAh)
- SDHC memory card slot
The camera is not able to shoot in RAW however, you quickly forget about this when you consider the incredible photo’s and videos which are able to achieve using its whopping zoom which is equivalent to shooting with a DSLR and a 2000mm lens attached. (Actual moon photograph below)
Auto-focus is rather snappy but can result in some white lens flare when set to full zoom. This can be forgiven as the camera re-adjusts quickly when stabilised on a tripod. When shooting distance photography it is essential that you make use of a stabilised platform as the camera performs in a similar manner to a telescope and is very sensitive.
The Nikon Coolpix P900 allows and amateur photographer to capture some incredible close-ups and is the perfect travelling companion especially for wildlife photography. I had an absolute blast capturing some shots which would generally be impossible. While some of the pictures you’ll end up taking are simply to satisfy your urge to maximise your scope of field, the Coolpix P900 certainly helps make an ordinary field trip extraordinary.
The Nikon Coolpix P900 is available through Orms – (Current market price: R12,495)
Find Orms using the below details: