New Mégane Renault Sport 275 Trophy powers into SA
Flagship model of Mégane R.S. range raises the bar in in terms of design, sporty sophistication and premium performance
- Maximum output upped to 201kW (275bph) and 360Nm with no compromise on fuel and emission efficiencies
- CUP chassis with limited slip differential (LSD) delivers unfailing performance
- Standard Intelligent technology includes S. Monitor 2.0 and R.S. Dynamic Management
- All-round performance car that combines everyday driveability with top performance on track
The New Mégane Renault Sport 275 Trophy is the second Mégane Renault Sport (R.S,) to be introduced to South African shores in 2015. Following in the footsteps of the Mégane R.S. 265 LUX 2.0 Turbo which motored into Mzansi in February, it succeeds the Mégane R.S. 265 Trophy which debuted in SA in May 2012 and takes up the mantle of flagship of the Mégane Renault Sport range.
A powerful, sporty yet sophisticatedly-styled addition to the highly acclaimed and perennially popular R.S. line-up in South Africa, it boasts a multitude of innovative and intelligent technology features and fitments as standard and is sure to meet – and exceed – the expectations.
Since the launch of Mégane Renault Sport in 2004, Mégane R.S. has set the pace for sports cars and amassed a host of accolades locally and internationally. At the heart of the new flagship Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy are well-proven sporting and technical credentials that have been re-worked, up-scaled and taken to the next level according to Brian Smith, vice president of marketing and communications at Renault South Africa.
“This is an all-round performance car that combines everyday driveability with an even sharper track performance. The CUP chassis fully taps the potential of the F1-inspired upgraded Renault Sport 2.0, four-cylinder turbocharged petrol engine. Premiering on the Megane R.S. 275 Trophy, it has undergone significant fine-tuning and been optimised to produce maximum power of 275 bhp,” says Smith.
With 38 years of Formula 1 expertise under its belt, the RSTs engineering team has successfully transferred its technical know-how to Renault’s production cars. Patrice Ratti, CEO of Renault Sport Technologies explains, however, that when a Mégane R.S. undergoes an upgrade, “our objective is not only to improve the technical specs but also to develop a vehicle that is more distinctive both visually and from a performance perspective. A car that performs even better on the track but which is still suited to everyday motoring.
“Reflecting our approach to motorsports, the R.S. Technologies (RST) team seeks to make progress in every area in order to develop innovative solutions that make our car the market reference and, with its moderate fuel consumption and CO² emissions, New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy is also a car that addresses today’s environmental concerns.”
“Continuing in the tradition of exclusive sports performance cars, RST has allied exceptional dynamic qualities with advanced versatility that provide an even more exhilarating and dynamic edge to this class-leading hatchback. New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy is a vehicle that we believe to be the most accomplished sports hatch currently on the market,” adds Smith.
The New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy Turbo has arrived in SA. May the force be with you!
SOPHISTICATED YET SPORTY DESIGN
A number of definitive features and fitments underscore New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy’s stand-out design inside and out.
Visible lighting features throughout and includes:
- LED DRL (day time running lights)
- Halogen bulb headlights with white reflective inserts
- Follow-me-home headlights
- Boot light
- Front floor and foot well lighting
In line with Renault’s bold new design identity, the grille incorporates R.S. badging beneath the distinctive and enlarged Renault logo centrepiece. In the rear, the centre-mounted exhaust with its distinctive Akropovič carbon tailpiece, is a fully integrated part of the diffuser. Like the aerodynamic F1-styled splitter with Trophy lettering in the front bumper, the rear diffuser and lip spoiler are also hallmark features across the R.S. line-up serving as reminders of Renault’s F1 heritage.
Sporty and muscular yet refined, the sleek metallic-coated three-door hatch’s visual signature is further enforced by the F1-styled blade insert in the front bumper as well as by the integrated LED daytime running lights and follow-me-home headlights already mentioned. New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy’s mean machine looks are further enhanced with the fitment of halogen bulb headlights with white reflective inserts, 19” black Trophy aluminium alloys with red Brembo brake callipers, gloss black door mirrors and front- and rear-widened wings. Trophy striping on the rear quarter panels and decals on the front doors complete the look.
Upon entry, the Trophy’s uniquely numbered door sill guards catch the eye as do the R.S. aluminium gear lever knob, R.S. aluminium-drilled pedals, carbon-look dashboard moulding incorporating R.S. clusters and logo and the leather-trimmed armrest centre console.
Quality and refinement with Renault Sport’s classic twist is clearly evident throughout. Driver and passengers will enjoy slipping into the Recaro bucket seats trimmed in an Alcantara (suede) and leather combo with distinctive red top-stitching on the upholstery. Both the steering wheel (with centre position stitching) and gear lever are suede-covered while the highly visible safety belts serve as a reminder to strap in. The rear passenger seat is a convenient and practical 1/3 – 2/3 split fold combination.
Creature comforts that come standard include:
- Two-zone regulated air conditioning
- Electric folding door mirrors with defrost function; aspherical on driver’s side
- One-touch windows with anti-trap for driver and passenger
- Tinted windows (rear windows/quarter panel/ rear screen)
- Fixed glass roof (optional extra)
ENGINE BOOST DELIVERS POWERFUL PERFORMANCE +
By fine-tuning the exceptionally versatile 2.0 litre, 16-valve, 4 cylinder R.S. 2.0 Turbo petrol engine, the RST engineers sought to increase the peak power torque of 5 500 rpm by working on the electronic control parameters. By raising torque to 349 Nm (+ 10 Nm), the engine was boosted to 275 bhp. Available at between 3 000 and 5 000 rpm, maximum torque of 360 Nm remains unchanged.
“Although the power has been boosted, we have reduced the consumption (thanks to stop/start) to 7.5 l/100 km and CO² emissions of (Euro 5-compliant) 174 g/km,” says David Pomonti, RST’s powertrain engineering manager.
MORE THRILLS COURTESY OF CUP CHASSIS
A Cup chassis equipped with a limited slip differential (LSD) and designed for unfailing performance delivers dependable efficiency regardless of grip conditions or driving style. The LSD is combined with an independent steering-axis layout allowing the driver to reap the full benefits of the extra traction for more reassuring handling and increased stability on braking.
New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy’s build structure features front MacPherson-type suspension with pressed aluminium lower wishbone, rear torsion-beam axle and an anti-roll bar (24.2mm diameter).
On its flagship R.S. model, Renault Sport partnered with several leading suppliers that have set the standard in their respective fields. With Akrapovič, a Slovenian company renowned for its work with motorcycles and performance cars, a special titanium exhaust system (with carbon tailpipe trim) was fitted as standard giving the New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy a deeper, more penetrating sound signature, guaranteed to thrill engine aficionados.
INTELLIGENT TECHNOLOGY DELIVERS CONSUMMATE ON-BOARD EXPERIENCE
Super-smart technology is a New Mégane R.S. 275 Trophy standard and features and fitments afford an optimum driving experience at every turn.
- Integrated Carminat TomTom® LIVE Navigation – traffic, weather, places
- S. Monitor 2.0 (full 3-D Race Telemetry with data download functionality)
- S. Dynamic Management: Multi-mode ESP featuring Normal, Sport and Race modes
- S. counter with tachometer and analogue rev counter
- Tilt + height adjustable steering wheel with electric power steering
- Renault hands-free key card and remote card for central locking/unlocking of the doors, boot and fuel flap
- Coded electric immobiliser system
- Automatic lights and windscreen wipers
- Rear camera parking assist (optional)
- Manual parking brake
- Bluetooth® connectivity which enables safe, convenient and hands-free telephony and music streaming from external devices when on the go
- Cruise control + speed limiter to ensure a more comfortable and safer drive on highways and open roads, the system electronically maintains a steady speed as set by the driver
- RadioSat Classic, CD MP3 with USB AUX port plus fingertip controls behind the steering wheel
SAFETY – ACTIVE AND PASSIVE
Renault’s safety stance is world renowned and in line with this, comprehensive passive and active safety features and fitments are standard including:
- ABS braking coupled with Emergency Brake Assist (EBA)
- Electronic Stability Programme (ESP) which, in the event of loss of vehicle control due to excessive speed or slippery road conditions, helps to get the vehicle under control by reducing engine power and braking on independent wheels
- Anti-Slip Regulation (ASR) anti-skid system
- CSV understeer control
- Six (6) airbags (front, side and curtain)
- Front self-adaptive driver and front passenger airbags
- Manual unlocking of front passenger airbag
- Tyre pressure monitor
In addition to driver and passenger seat belts, with the fitment of 3-point safety belts for the three rear passengers, safety for all passengers is assured.
SERVICE AND WARRANTY
As is the case across Renault’s entire product range, the New Mégane Renault Sport 275 Trophy 2.0 Turbo comes with Renault’s industry-leading 5-year/150 000km mechanical warranty plan. Six-year anti-corrosion warranty and 5-year/90 000km service plans also apply. Service intervals are at 10 000km.
RECOMMENDED RETAIL PRICING
- New Mégane Renault Sport 275 2.0 Turbo Trophy R 449 900.00