Editor: Jason “The Bok” Date – 31 May 2017
The Toyota Yaris has been on the market for some time and we see many of them on our roads. Their cute dimensions, tasteful good looks and youthful approach to motoring, make them the perfect car for that young couple or family starting out. Now Toyota has launched the Yaris Pulse Plus in SA.
I was fortunate enough to have been able to attend the SA media launch, which took place along the beautiful Cape coastline and discover the all-new Toyota Yaris Pulse Plus first hand.
- Powertrain line-up includes new 1.5-litre petrol engine, more powerful yet cleaner and more fuel-efficient than Yaris’s previous 1.3-litre
- Design changes focus on giving Yaris a more dynamic personality, more refinement and an updated interior
- Yaris Hybrid re-engineered for even quieter, smoother and more enjoyable performance
This latest vehicle also further improves the already trendy and youthful styling of the Yaris with changes found including:
- New front end displays and grill featuring “honeycomb” shape architecture, with new headlight units, new grille designs around the central Toyota emblem
- New lower door mouldings emphasise new Yaris Pulse’s athletic profile
- New tailgate, rear light clusters and bumper
- New cabin upholsteries, trims and colour choices (colours include: Glacier White ; Satin Silver ; Cosmic Blue ; Pearl White ; Cinnabar Red (As in tested) and Grey).
The Yaris has always offered a comfortable spacious interior, with this new model now also offering a much improved large central touch-screen based media system. The CVT variant features a unique cloth upholstery and some other sporty styling touches including a bold squared-off steering wheel with paddle shifters to compliment its sport mode.
Multimedia is present from sources such as USB, with a centrally located USB socket. The media system also features the ability to stream media via Bluetooth and pair your mobile device for Bluetooth telephony, which can be further controlled through the multifunctional steering wheel.
The Yaris Pulse Plus is definitely up on performance and features:
- New 1.5-litre petrol engine with VVT-iE, offering more torque and power but higher efficiency and lower emissions than previous 1.3-litre unit
- Mated to a six-speed manual transmission or CVT (7 simulated gears with steering paddle shift)
- Improvement in fuel economy of up to 12%
The Yaris is offered with a 3-years/45 000km service plan and a 3-years/100 000km warranty as well as the support of Toyota SA’s extensive dealer network.
SA Models & Pricing Includes:
– 1.0 Pulse MT: R199 000
– 1.5 Pulse MT: R228 700
– 1.5 Pulse CVT: R241 400
– 1.5 Pulse Plus CVT: R249 600
– Hybrid: R307 200